Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas, New Years, and Goal Setting

It's that time of the year again when Jolly Ol' Saint Nick comes around giving all the good girls and boys presents and good tidings. You could also argue that Jesus was born on or around this time of the year as well, but it seems like everyone has forgotten about that. During the majority of the year, the church pews sit with the Christ followers and the weekend redeemers. But Christmas is the one time of year that really brings out all the heathens and heaven sent under one roof. The onset of December often has me questioning the meaning of Christmas. It always seems to be a lot of "I want this" and "Santa, give me that." The looks on the faces of holiday shoppers is never as cheery as you see on the television. They assume run you over while you're on fire, than to step aside and be the least bit courteous. Even outside the stores, the blatant disregard for the fellow man runs rampant. Cutting each other off, running red lights, and giving the one finger salute. The weeks turn into days as we slowly approach Christmas and the problems just seem to magnify. It is all very discouraging to the onlooker that just wants to see Christ in Christmas.
It is Christmas Eve and I am on my way to church. The past 23 days have deadened my emotions to this holiday. This holiday that I always fear has been outright forgotten. Walking in with my Grandmother, I look around at all the faces. Happy, cheery,embracing one another, and giving each other well wishes. For the first time in years I really start to revel in the magnificence that is Jesus and this holiday. I enter the church pew with grandma on my left and a stranger on my right. The lights are dimmed down low and the song "Oh Come all Ye Faithful" starts to play. We are asked to stand and sing. Looking around at everyone standing, singing, and rejoicing I begin to believe in humanity once again. Even though for 360 some odd days a year we are all indifferent to each other, for that one night, we are one in the birth of Jesus Christ. And that gives me hope.

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment